Tuesday, August 4, 2009

An East Coast Adventure

Since we were gone for two weeks, I suppose this vacation deserves a long post, but I think I'll try to cut the fat and stick to the highlights.

The day after flying out to Baltimore (technically since we flew in so late, it was only hours later, I guess), we spent a day in DC. Obviously, we could not do everything in one day, but we sure crammed in a lot. I was exhausted by the time we were done. We saw the big monuments (Washington below), walked through three Smithsonians, went by the White House, and drove over to the temple. It was awesome to see all of these buildings that are in countless movies and on the news IN PERSON. We started our journey north the next day, stopping in Philadelphia to see some historical sights (Betsy Ross' house, Benjamin Franklin's old romps, the liberty bell, the oldest banks in the US...) and eat Philly Cheese Steaks, per Isaac and Dad's requests. They were way better than I expected, to be honest. This is the portrait we found of our ancestor who signed the Declaration of Independence.

We went through about ten states this trip, which was so cool. It would take a lot longer to do that on the West Coast. Not that it was a short trip... in our two weeks, we covered about 3500 miles. Woah. Needless to say, I have only been in the car about five times since we got home, all within Newark, lol.
Obviously, we had to have lobster in Maine. Look at Isaac's happy face.

Our ultimate northern destination was Prince Edward Island. I have been dreaming of this vacation for nearly 15 years. It was as beautiful as I could have hoped (although I could have gone for slightly more cheerful weather). We toured Cavendish and Charlottetown, spending one night in Charlottetown. We took a walk on Lover's Lane, had Cow's ice cream, hiked around L.M. Montgomery's old homestead foundation, and toured some neighboring sites. This is "Green Gables"... thank you little Anne actress.


What would a coastal tour be without lighthouses? We looked for more than we found, actually (how many miles are you supposed to follow those little blue signs before you give up because you don't even see the ocean?), but the ones we found were lovely. There's something serene about the way they stand so tall and purposeful by the water.


After a week, my parents and siblings went back to California, and Isaac and I got a car and headed west to see Emily. It was a quick trip, but we went through the National Forest in Vermont, spent soem time with the girls, saw Niagra Falls, and stopped in Palmyra on our way back east.

There was a deer like RIGHT NEXT TO ME in the Sacred Grove. Then Isaac scared it away in his zest to show me how tortured he was by the mosquitos. They were pretty bad.


We drover to Boston and picked up Jon & Whitney from the airport, then made a quick trip to see the Boston Temple before heading back to Maine. I like this temple. It has a lot of character.


We spent several days in Maine with Isaac's parents, sister Teresa, his grandparents and various other family. We spent a lot of time at the Hansons' cabin on Thompson Lake, and we're so thankful for how everyone took care of us! What a nice vacation it was. The boys on the lake before Isaac fell in (but maybe after Jon fell in?)...
a sunset on the lake

Finally, the time came for us to go home. On the way to the Manchester airport to catch our flight back to SFO, we stopped at Robert Frost's farm in Derry, NH to satisfy the nerdy English teacher in the car and to get a chance to stretch our legs. Who doesn't like "The Road Not Taken"? Isaac didn't know what I was talking about until I started feeding him the last two lines, and by the time I finished, he was reciting with me. We didn't take the tour, but it was a nice stop.

It was a great vacation, but now it is good to be home. I love that I am not teaching right now, and I can focus on cleaning and laundry and sorting mail (all those terribly fun things that are necessary after a long vacation). Mostly, I'm happy to sleep in my own bed and have Sophie around to keep me company. :)

1 comment:

Kayla said...

What a great vacation! I'm super jealous of all the stuff you guys did and saw! I would love to go to Prince Edward Island! The Ann of Green Gables Collection is on my wish list of dvd's I must have. I've told my husband a million times!