Tuesday, September 11, 2012

An Update on Real Life!

I think maybe most adults look at January 1st as being a fresh start, but for me I am always most struck by the feeling of a fresh start in the fall. This year brings some changes for me at work.
I moved into a new classroom! It was a little hard to leave my old room because it’s what I’m used to and where I have spent countless hours for the past six years, but my new room has more shelving and is a bit farther away from the elementary school, so I’m hoping to not hear all the fire drills from next door anymore.
I came back to work a full week earlier than most teachers, and I spent some time every day Mon to Sat that week cleaning and moving things over and getting organized. It’s not perfect yet, but it’s functional, and I’m pretty happy with it.
DSC_4558DSC_4560DSC_4561DSC_4562
I am also English department chair and a mentor to a new teacher. What this means is that I have three new sets of meeting schedules to coordinate and attend, ha. I did hand over the EL liaison position to someone else because after five years, I felt it was time to let someone else have a turn (and also… three new sets of meetings!).
Oh, and I’m teaching the Publications class this year, which is yearbook and school paper. I am really excited about it, and also nervous because it’s a big responsibility and all new to me.
Isaac is on track to finish school in a few months, and after a rocky patch, he is now doing quite well, and I could not be more proud of him. I did 15 semester and 12 quarter units this summer, and I’m so glad that mad rush is done. I will finish my MEd in January, which is awesome, but I also know the next few months are going to be crazy.
Aiden is talking more clearly all the time. Sometimes I am not in favor of this progression. For one, Danielle and I sang in church on Sunday, and as it ended, Aiden shouted “Yay Mommy!” into the quiet room. Secondly, he is calling me “Mommy” now. I have always been “Mama,” and he sounds so much older now! Boo!
He is loving all things cars still… toys, books, real cars, movies… at least he knows what he likes.
DSC_4552
I guess that’s it for now. We’re busy and happy and proud to be American. Happy Patriot Day.
DSC_4557

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow, Becca. How many students do you have in your classes? That looks like a lot of desks.

And, of course, Aiden is always my favorite to see.

sunnysnows said...

It feels like a lot of desks too! I have between 35 and 37 kids in every seventh grade class and 25 in yearbook.

He's my favorite too. :)