Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Grandma Chase

Olivia Fanjul Chase

July 18, 1926-May 30, 2012

Grandma and Grandpa, Grandma’s hair she sewed onto this doll

HP 004Barbie2

Grandma had dementia, and it was hard to have a very stimulating conversation with her recently, but I spent a lot of time today thinking about how much fun she was when I was a kid.

HPIM4307

She was a jokester. It made me think I could be one too, so I went through a phase where I had a goal of startling her every time she came over, and she always jumped and shouted. Now I realize that I wasn’t actually that sneaky, and she must have just been humoring me at least some of the time… but she sure made me think I was hilarious.

HPIM2084HPIM4472

She gave great back scratches.

Jan14_1

She taught me things like how to knit, a few basic tap dance moves, and how to draw (I never excelled at any of these). She also taught me how to make freaking awesome scrambled eggs (this I excel at). Smile

Kindergarten

We had different religious beliefs, but she always came to support us when we were baptized or had other important milestones.

pics 003

She taught me and Patrick basic Spanish as kids… things like “agua", “leche",” and other foods as well as “Deja la nariz!” lol

Feb14_2Dec25_026

She was fun to have sleepovers with because she’d play games with me and tell funny stories. She taught me to love building puzzles.

pics 005

She took care of me if I was sick when my parents had to work or when she and Grandpa took me to Tahoe, and I overate so much at the buffet that I was barfing all night (lesson learned).

Mar19_001Mar19_003

She had a sweet tooth. I totally get that.

Jul22_001Dec24_015

She always kept some kind of mint life saver thing in her purse, and she never hesitated to share with me.

fam-Apr27PICT0218

She and Grandpa babysat me a lot when I was a kid, and she always sat with me after school and listened to the stories of my day and fixed me snacks.

pics 006

She was a little kooky, but she sure gave me some fun memories, and I am glad to have had her in my life.

Sep_2010wGrandmaChase

She has been sick for awhile, and we’re glad that now she can rest. I am grateful for the gospel in my life and the knowledge that I can see her again. Love you, Grandma!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, but at the same time, so glad to hear that she doesn't have to deal with all of that stuff anymore. This is a great memorial post. you are an awesome granddaughter. Love you and will say a prayer for you.